Are you ready for the 2024 election? President Biden is! Last night, President Biden delivered his State of the Union address, outlining his plans for the next four years and showing a clear contrast between himself and the right-wing House Republicans. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at five key takeaways from Biden’s speech and how he’s gearing up for campaign mode.
It was a night of contrasts: President Biden’s plea for unity, versus the Republicans’ heckling and haranguing. Biden laid out his Average Joe America vision for 2024, full of poll-tested, middle-of-the-road issues, as well as a healthy dose of left-wing populism. He also made it clear that he’s gearing up for campaign mode and will be campaigning on what he’s already done.
So, what did we learn from President Biden’s State of the Union address? Here are five key takeaways:
1. Biden is making Democrats more comfortable with the idea of him as the standard-bearer again in 2024. Biden showed he can ably make and prosecute the case — not just for reelection, but also for Democratic values.
2. Biden tried to bait the right, and it worked. He deftly riled up House Republicans, accusing some of wanting to cut popular entitlements. This enraged House Republicans and showed the clear contrast between Biden and the right.
3. Populism and nationalism are in. Biden and former President Donald Trump both have populism at their core — the little guy vs. the people in power. Biden went after corporate stock buybacks, oil and gas company profits, Big Pharma, and wealthy tax cheats.
4. There wasn’t much about China or Ukraine. Biden is clearly focusing on domestic, bread-and-butter issues for his 2024 reelection campaign.
5. Biden got both parties to stand on police reform. Biden is walking a tightrope on police and criminal justice, but he’s continuously trying to find a balance. He said it’s up to all of us to ensure neighborhoods are free of violence, law enforcement earns the community’s trust, and our children come home safely.
President Biden showed last night that he’s ready for the 2024 election. He’s gearing up for campaign mode and is ready to make the case for Democratic values and his vision for America. Keep an eye out for more news in the coming months as the election approaches!